Monday, December 7, 2009

KNOW THYSELF!

I have heard that advice so many times during my long life. But, what does it mean? How do you do that? know thyself?

I once knew a guy quite well; he was even a friend. He shared his thoughts with me so often that I came to think I really knew that guy! Somehow that contributed to feeling comfortable with him: Somebody I knew; somebody I really, really knew.

Now, that guy wasn’t perfect you understand – he’s gone to his maker now, many years ago – but I knew him! And I was glad that I knew him, even though he, like me, was a lot less than perfect.

Why, he was even a polymath! A polymath? How can one be a polymath and not be perfect, I asked myself often. Must be possible, however, because my friend was a polymath!

Since the time when I knew what polymath meant, I have concluded that, at best, I am a “Wannabe Polymath.” I even came to be satisfied with that – though it took a long time.

However, there was a time, I admit, many years earlier, when I thought I might become a real polymath, if I worked hard at it. Well, after much time, trial and tribulation, I learned that I am not a polymath, cannot be a polymath. Much to my own disappointment!

But my friend was a real polymath; that came to be enough for me. After all, he was my friend.

Then, all of a sudden there was this former college professor, who insisted on calling me “brilliant,” despite my written protestations. And, later, a physicist at a prominent university accused me of something similar! Wow! Maybe I am selling myself short, I thought! (Like the Phoenix, hope was rising again.)

But nope, no matter how I cut and diced it, thought and soul-searched it, I still had to conclude that I am no polymath, not even close. Again, head hung low. What is the problem?

Well, the problem is, I have read a little history, and therefore I know a bit about some of the real polymaths in our past. Am I in their category?

No way, I have to decide – finally. This time it didn’t even take too much time or thought.

So, how come? Where did my educated observers go wrong? Well, I think I know the answer.

It is a matter of Definition Dilution!

Now, aside from the possibility that the reader doesn't know what is meant by "definition dilution," that reader might ask, "Who was that friend? what was his name?

Well, what was his name again? Hmmmm! I am so forgetful. But I think it was something like "Hobbs" or maybe, "Lucy."

Think I'll ask Wiley Miller.

DBT

No comments:

Post a Comment