Tuesday, June 8, 2010

NPR RADIO -- FREE!

Read recently in the Tampa Tribune the results of an interview with Vivian Schiller, President and CEO of NPR. One of her "answers" was simply not true.

Ms. Schiller stated, "...It is at the heart of our mission that we will make our content available to people for free." That is false.

NPR was started years ago by the U.S. Federal Government, and it still subsidizes NPR. Our Federal Government does not have any money that it did not secure from taxpayers, in one way or another. Federal Government subsidies come from money so obtained. I am a taxpayer.

I like PBS, especially the "classical music," and have it on (radio) most all day, every day. For many years I donated substantial amounts of money to PBS yearly, but for several years now I have not. I believe PBS content is sufficiently good -- as their proponents keep telling us -- that PBS could now stand on its own without goverment subsidy.

When PBS "cuts this cord to mother," I will again donate to the cause yearly, not before.

D.B. Tuthill, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment